About a month ago, the company I work for got an invite to a special preview screening of a film called Baby Driver. I’d never heard of it, not seen a trailer, didn’t know it existed until this invitation arrived in my inbox, and tbh, the poster looked bleh so I didn’t rush to check it out. Then I saw the name Edgar Wright. Made huge by his directorial ties to Simon Pegg/Nick Frost classics Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (plus others but these are the best), Wright has established himself as man who creates fun, frenetic and just plain cool shit for the big screen. After that, I was all about whatever the fuck Baby Driver was. Continue reading
twoseven rotations into Harry Styles’ self-titled debut album, and I never in my life imagined I could care this much about a member of OneDirection, ever. I was never their target demographic. But there is something otherworldly about Harry’s excellent and un-autotuned voice paired with a searing bluesy riff that I can’t quite articulate. And, in essence, I am very confused.
So for the first time in months, I haven’t posted for two Sundays in a row 😦 I AM SORRY LOYAL HUMANS, I was very very not alive after a major work project/event and several uni deadlines happened in the space of ten days. My gift to you is a GIGANTIC edition of Cool Stuff Sunday today, so enjoy many ridiculous things that I’ve found over the last fortnight. You’re welcome.
I am a very annoying, affectionate person. My friends both love and hate me if we haven’t seen each other in a while, because one of the ways I express emotional reactions is by touching another human being, i.e. I will hug them for a very long time and smoosh their beautiful faces. Anyway, Mental_Floss has put together some “rules” (i really don’t know why they’re calling them rules but ok M_F, you do you) about touch, and how important it can be in alleviating some symptoms of depression.
Speaking of it, a new study has found that depression may actually originate–at least for some people–in our immune systems. Take a look at this article over at the Sydney Morning Herald for one of the most interesting reads on neuroscience this week.
The TOM HANKS TAKEDOWN over on Buzzfeed was amazingly gripping for a roasting of one of my faves??? Charting the rise and fall of Hanx is pretty spectacular, and so insanely in-depth that I’m left wondering if, in fact, the author has done their entire PhD on him. (Nice one if so).
It’s November so as is my body’s wont, I’m getting itchy feet again. I’ve seen some berserk travel deals in the last month, and finally investigated what the heck an error fare is thanks to my buddy Tofu Traveler, who has some excellent tips for getting your cheap on when planning your next trip.
R U INTROVERT? Have some tips about doing life.
Who loves Beyonce? Me! Most of the time. If you do too, take a look at these mash-ups of Bey tunes with other excellent tunes. I’m particularly stoked with the Partition/Bitch Better Have My Money track, and the Halo/Fire Meet Gasoline mash-up is scratching at my insides, but basically these are all magnificent.
Not part of the Beyhive?
Head over to the NME for a collection of Bowie’s isolated vocals on some of his most masterful pieces. What magic we have lost this year 😦
An important discussion on what we need to talk about with our children when we talk about consent and body autonomy.
Pete Souza, the man behind the lens over the course of Barack Obama’s presidency has shared some of his favourite ever photographs of the outgoing President (jesus that’s hard to write). Wonderful, funny, heartwarming and poignant. I’m gonna miss this guy.
Am absolutely loving my rewatch of Sailor Moon currently, and stumbled across these 15 things you might not know about good old meatball head. GET IT TOGETHER, TUXEDO MASK!
And to take us out, here’s a thing. I saw A Monster Calls earlier in the week, and it annihilated what was left of me after a pretty huge fortnight. It was an absolutely beautiful retelling of Patrick Ness’ work, but make sure you take someone who’s going to hold your hand while you heave wracking sobs next to them.
NOTE: I originally kicked this review off with a deeply personal reflection, but had to pull it because of a bigger project I’m working on. So, if some of this review seems odd, blame me for having ideas! Continue reading
Like just about everyone on the planet, I was devastated by the news that David Bowie had passed away yesterday, just days after the release of his (now final) album Blackstar, and his 69th birthday. Three days ago, I had saved Blackstar in my Spotify app to review. While there were key Bowie songs I knew and loved, I had never heard an album in full, and I wanted to experience that magic that I knew touched everyone who listened to his music.
The first time I heard of David Bowie (that I can remember), I was a kid watching Rage with my Dad, back when he was newly divorced from my mum and lived in a bachelor pad. We shared his double bed in the corner of the lounge room and watched cartoons on Saturday mornings before he made cheese soldiers and switched to Rage to watch music videos. One day, in this one video, a weird guy with shaggy mullet hair was jumping and dancing about like a loon, and I loved the trumpets that opened the song. Though I can’t remember it specifically, I would bet a trillion dollars that Dad and I got up and danced around like Mick Jagger, because we still do shit like that 25 years later. Continue reading
I’d heard both good and unpleasant things about Alejandro Iñárritu’s revenge adaptation, The Revenant. I’d heard it compared to Grand Budapest Hotel in that every shot is an artwork, and I’d also heard it was long and boring. What I didn’t know a whole lot about before I went in was the storyworld. I had a basic awareness of the “son of revered man killed by jerk, man seeks slow and torturous death for jerk” plot, but that was kind of it.
So, armed with little knowledge and a bunch of mixed reviews, I strode into the cinema with a sliver of hope. What I got in return was the joy of watching what was unmistakably the most visually sublime piece of artistry I’ve seen in decades, and also the most traumatising. Continue reading
One of the perks of loving movies is knowing what kind of expectations to go into one with. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes my instincts are way, way off. Luckily, I’m pretty discerning when it comes to disaster films, and with San Andreas, I knew without a doubt that I needed to walk into that cinema with my film nerd hat off, and locked in a closet somewhere. This was going to be a disastrous movie (Ha! Puns! Amirite tho!?) Continue reading
In the spirit of experiencing things so I can form my own opinions when there’s outrage afoot, I recently finished the entire 9 seasons of How I Met Your Mother (yeah, where’s my freakin’ medal?). When Netflix launched earlier this year, I set about creating a super great list of stuff I hadn’t seen yet but wanted to, and highest on that list was finally catching up on the seasons of HIMYM that I had missed on free-to-air television.
- I don’t recall anything about what this movie is supposed to be about except it’s like the wizard of oz in that it changes to colour in the middle
- “Memories of the past were erased after The Ruin.” Okay.
- Right, there are billions of rules in the new world.
- Jonas doesn’t have a last name. Christalmighty what if they have more than one Sarah? THAT’S BOUND TO HAPPEN RIGHT?
- Wait, so Jonas sees in colour? And he doesn’t say anything because he doesn’t want to be different..? How the fuck does he know no one else doesn’t see in colour?
- They ride cool bikes
- OMFG THEY LIVE IN THE SKY LIKE LADY AREN IN GAME OF THRONES THAT’S COOL
- YUS ALEXANDER SKARSGAARD YES PLS
- A baby that’s crying didn’t qualify to be assigned in some sort of ceremony and knowing the baby’s name isn’t allowed?
- They’re jumping through a fountain and Fiona gets wet and now the sexual tension is evident
- KATIE HOLMES YOU ARE A BAAAAAAAABE
- They discuss their feelings at the table. But not in a loving way, in a This Is How We Do Life way.
- CEREMONY OF ANNOUNCEMENT: Holographic Meryl Streep is perfection bye
- Wait these guys are only one community out of… how many?
- THIS IS VERY HUNGER GAMES
- IS MERYL PRESIDENT SNOW
- I HOPE SHE IS THAT IS GREAT
- Okay they’re clapping with one hand and their knee and I don’t understand what is happening
- Okay so people get released to Elsewhere. Elsewhere to me means death thanks to Gabrielle Zevin, so this is… odd.
- Impulses to be different are bad but today we’re celebrating the differences? GUYS CHOOSE ONE
- OMFG THEY SKIPPED JONAS WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IS IT BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR SEEING THING
- Jonas not assigned because he was selected to do something involving pain. HCHristian Grey?
- Receiver of Memory…. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN
- Okay they’re chanting Jonas and it doesn’t work because chants need monosyllabic names to make it work. That was totally awkward
- Jonas is now exempt from every rule except the thing where you have to take medication and he also can’t talk about his training ever but he can also LIE NOW. Makes sense.
- AND HE LOOKS LIKE HAN SOLO IN THAT VEST YES PLS
- Receiver of Memory training is held on the edge of the island in the sky. Someone’s going to die for sure.
- It’s a giant library and I’m okay with that *hearteyes*
- Jeff Bridges has no time for Jonas’ shit
- Jonas will now receive all the past world’s memory that currently lives inside Jeff Bridges? Do these guys know how memory works or….Jeff Bridges gives literally no fucks and somehow has rendered Jonas unconscious.
- The first memory is of snow. And a toboggan. This fucker is just playing with us Australians right?
- Now there’s a house with a wreath and a family singing carols. WHO VETTED THESE MEMORIES GOD DAMN HOW IS THIS THE IMPORTANT SHIT?
- Jonas is a terrible actor.
- If you’re the receiver then I must be……………………………………………….. The Giver……… okay then bye
- This is a mythical creature called a hippo said while holding an elephant and it can run really fast because it has five legs alright I’m gonna need y’all to get off the crack cocaine now
- HAHAHA A BEE STUNG HIM IN MEMORY
- Oooooh Pretty Sunset Over The Water is suuuuuuuper pretty
- holy shit now everything is in colour
- Colour, race, religion all abolished. Sameness erased jealousy, hatred etc
- And Elsewhere is like… right next door.
- Okay this acting is horrible. These teenagers are making my ears bleed with their awful awful lack of talent. WHO THE FUCK CAST THESE GUYS
- Lol Fiona “saw” the Tree from Elsewhere. Righto.
- Diamond hand signs, SHOUT OUT TO JIGGA
- They are sliding down a solar panel they will take them vertical at some point but it never goes vertical because ~movies~
- Meryl looks so god damn old in this film
- Jeff Bridges has no time for Meryl’s shit
- Oh no. Jeff Bridges and Meryl used to be a thing and had a baby and now they hate each other because something happened to the baby and Meryl blames Jeff for everything and this is awkieeeeeeeessssssssssss
- Plan for Sameness conveniently falls out of a book
- There’s a Boundary of Memory…. I don’t understnad what that is
- Jeff Bridges is playing the piano and it’s great but Jonas has never heard music before and his reaction is priceless
- THE MORNING INJECTIONS REMOVE EMOTIONS HOLY SHIT
- Feelings are just fleeting on the surface but emotions are very deep, primal… they linger. Okay Gandhi Jeff Bridges
- OMG music memory ❤ Why would anyone want to get rid of this? Yeah bruh, I don’t know either.
- Meryl dropping truth bombs about Katie Holmes’ motherly conduct all up in this
- Memories are not just about the past. They determine our future… they change things…
- omg animals didn’t survive The Ruin?
- Oh no it’s pain time
- There’s going to be the holocaust or something
- omfg poaching
- There’s an awful lot of hugging going on between Jonas and Jeff Bridges
- OH MY SWEET EVER LOVING GOD HE’S SHOWING THE BABY MEMORIES OF A REAL ELEPHANT THIS IS GON GET MESSY
- WAIT IS HE CREATING A MEMORY BASED ON THE MEMORIES HE HAS BEEN GIVEN? THIS IS GREAT
- Oh no wait, he just had a dream
- Lord jesus now they’re talking about love
- Jonas asks if his dad loves him and no one understands and this is the strangest shit ever
- He loves the baby. He shows the baby puppies and baths and it’s hurting me
- oh no there’s a war scene and this is going to be bad
- His friend in the memory died 😦
- He’s killing a person in the trees and this is going to be bad
- Jonas is now running away from being the Receiver of Memory because of war
- Jeff Bridges done fucked up
- He’s trying to leave with Fiona and she is not interested soz bruh
- Wait now he’s living in a memory?
- HAHAHAH TAYLOR SWIFT IS A BRUNETTE AND SHE IS A GHOST WHO WRITES SONGS ON THE PIANO BECAUSE SHE IS A ~MUSICIAN~
- Oh no… Taylor Swift was released and now lives in Elsewhere
- UMMMMMMMMM THEY JUST KILLED THE BABY AND PUT IT IN A BOX AND GOT PUSHED DOWN A GARBAGE CHUTE WHAT THE FUCK IS FUCKING WRONG WITH THESE FUCKERS
- Fiona didn’t take her injection and now she’s falling in love oh my god shutup
- oh my god they released Gabe. They’re going to kill Gabe. They’re going to KILL GABE NO WHAT THE FUCK
- Okay Katie Holmes is owning her shit in this
- Jonas is running away from home right now and of course Drone Pilot is coming to stop him
- JONAS JUST PUNCHED DRONE PILOT
- So if a Receiver crosses the Boundary of Memory all the memories are set free? I don’t get it. The memories go back to being everyone’s memories? WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM?
- MEMORIES OF PROTEST AGAINST OPPRESSIVE REGIMES OMFG
- Jonas is going to get Gabe and leave for the Boundary
- Now Meryl has brought in their version of the cops
- Okay now they’re running with babies and he’s stolen a cop bike cool
- dude just rode his bike off the cliff over to elsewhere. I. What…?
- EVERYTHING IS SEPIA AGAIN
- Fiona and Jeff Bridges are in cages
- Drone Pilot sent to find and destroy Jonas and the baby – this is fucked up
- JONAS LOCATED NOW WHAT
- Drone Pilot under orders, Drone Pilot fighting orders, Drone Pilot not understanding instinctive fighting of orders
- Jonas running with baby and diving with a baby and locked to the underside of the drone with a baby
- Jonas and baby dropped into raging currents but miraculously baby is alive
- This is so unrealistic
- I need to read the book
- How does this guy have bottles for Gabe?
- Fiona is going to be released ruh roh
- There is no way a babby could survive these conditions soz
- The tower should be there but it’s not there so now Jonas and Gabe are going to freeze to death in the snow. This is dissatisfying beyond words
- Fiona is going to die now… OMG SO I WAS RIGHT ELSEWHERE IS DEATH THAT IS CREEPY
- Jeff Bridges is telling everyone about love. Meryl is not interested.
- Love is just passion that can turn, that can turn into contempt and murder. When people have the freedom to choose, they choose wrong. Every time. MERYL STAHP
- THAT BABY IS NOT STILL ALIVE I’M SORRY BUT THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE
- Holy shit snow!
- Something is sticking out of the snow, is it the tower?
- IT’S A FUCKIN’ TOBOGGAN. I AM DYING. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.
- omg Jonas found the boundary omfg it’s like holographic n shiz
- IT’S RELEASING. Everything is changing to colour againnnnnnnnn!
- HURRY COLOUR FIND THEM FIONA IS ABOUT TO DIE
- They’re all getting memories back this is insane, even Meryl wants the memories now
- OMG HE FOUND THE HOUSE WHERE THE CAROL-ERS WERE I AM FUCKING DONE
Having never been a huge Bond fan, I go into other spy films with a wary eye. When I saw the trailer for Kingsman: The Secret Service though, I was all in and completely impatient for it’s Australian release date. Who wouldn’t be for Colin Firth as a middle-aged spy in a dapper-as-fuck suit, and some sort of Hunger Games-esque trial for new recruits? (unintentional poetry btw) Continue reading
In the wake of what I find pretty unpleasant news that eternal man-children blink-182 are officially over (at least, they are minus Tom DeLonge, which is the same shit tbh), I’ve had to reconcile the fact that my teenage heart is irrevocably fractured. To fill the void, I have been on what one might call a sickening bingefest on both +44 and Angels & Airwaves to find some sort of something to cure my sads. Continue reading
For some really obscure and tbh, totally unknown reason, today I decided to listen to Maroon 5’s discography. I tend to get Payphone stuck in my head, and Moves Like Jagger is a catchy motherfucker too, but nothing has ever stuck with me like This Love or The Sun from the band’s debut offering. So I decided to listen to the progressive discography to see if any hidden gems lay dormant.